Skip to content

Council and housing association homes

Get help to stay where you are

This might seem like odd advice to a home-seeker. But sometimes people move because of a problem with their current home, rather than a real desire to be somewhere else. And sometimes, if that problem could be solved, they would be happy to stay.

Manchester City Council, and other organisations, can help you sort out problems if you already live in the city. If you don't live in Manchester, contact your own local council.

Neighbour dispute

Do you want to move because of a dispute with neighbours, or because you are suffering from antisocial behaviour? Neighbour disputes can sometimes be solved by the council's expert mediators who help find a solution that suits everyone. It gets results, and it's free! The council can also take tough action against troublemakers when mediation isn’t suitable.

See Advice on anti-social behaviour

Repairs and maintenance

Perhaps you want to move because your home is run-down, and you can't afford vital maintenance or improvements. The council can give you expert advice, or could help arrange an affordable loan to carry out essential repairs, improve your home, or put in new facilities.

See Home improvement assistance (Manchester City Council web page)

If you are an older person, you may be able to get help with major improvements, minor maintenance and repairs, home safety and security from not-for-profit organisations.

See Manchester Care and Repair

High heating bills

Do you want to move because your home is cold and expensive to heat. Have you checked out the different ways to make your home much more energy-efficient? You may be able to get it done for free - or at massively reduced prices.

See Energy efficiency (Manchester City Council web page)

Disability and mobility

Do you need a property that’s adapted so that a disabled person can get around? The Council may be able to help if your current home is suitable.

See Move to An Adapted Home (Manchester City Council web page)

Problems with a private landlord

Are you not getting a good service from your landlord? Or is your home in poor condition, or you are worried about health and safety? Your landlord may be even harassing you or threatening to evict you. The council's expert advisers can help sort out the problems and explain your legal rights.

See Housing advice service (Manchester City Council web page)

Mortgage problems

You may be under threat of losing your home because of mortgage problems. But the council can work with the court and the mortgage company to review long-term debt, and agree a practical way out of the problem.

See Mortgage advice (Manchester City Council web page)